I was looking ‘rough as guts’ after my morning session at the gym. It’s bad enough when you aren’t strong enough to put your ‘head in a pony’ but one glance in the mirror and I balked at the idea of heading back out. I ‘didn’t look like anything to write home about’ so wasn’t keen for a catch up over a coffee. The ladies are always so well groomed! Did I go? Betcha life I did. ‘Life’s too short’ and the weather was awesome. ‘Not too hot, not too cold, just right’! Better than hanging round at home.
So I’m headed down to the harbour with ‘a skip in my step’ and ‘happy as Larry’. I was about 20 minutes late but ‘better late than never’ as they say. When I ‘rocked up’ I was greeted with a sea of smiles. Now that really ‘blew me away’. I’m usually the first one there. It ‘never crossed my mind’ about what it looked like from the other side.
A cuppa coffee and a bit of a ‘chin wag’ and I soon forgot about my ‘manky’ hairdo. Instead I ‘squirmed in my seat’ ‘with my skin crawling’ as we spoke of escaped phythons, red belly black snakes, and funnel web spiders. All of these can be deadly and are Australian natives. I may be an Australian but spiders and snakes ‘really do my head in’.
Well that’s my everyday adventure with a few sayings ‘thrown in just to mix it up a bit’.
- Rough as guts – (Australian) Not well groomed. A bit rough looking
- Head in a pony – Wear your hair in a ponytail
- Didn’t look like anything to write home about – Nothing flash or noteworthy
- Life’s too short – Life doesn’t last forever so enjoy it while you can
- Not too hot, not too cold, just right – From Goldilocks and the 3 Bears fairy tale from 19th century England
- Skip in your step – happy as I walk
- Happy as Larry – (Australian) Happy – “Larry Foley, an undefeated Australian middleweight boxer in the 1890s” https://metro.co.uk
- Better late than never – You eventually got there
- Rocked up – Arrived
- Blew me away – Surprised / Impressed / Did not expect
- Never crossed my mind – Didn’t think of it
- Chin wag – friendly talk in a relaxed way
- Manky – not great, rotten, dirty (in this sentence I mean it was not great)
- Squirming in my seat – Feeling uncomfortable
- With my skin crawling – Feeling frightened in an uncomfortable
- Really do my head in – Can’t cope with the thought of it
- Betcha life I did – Bet your life I did – I certainly did
- Thrown in just to mix it up a bit – Added for some variety