Let your doodles be your inspiration.
When I was a kid in primary school you would get the ruler over your knuckles for being left handed. I was left handed. I was constantly drawing in the margin of my school books so lots of rapped knuckles! School wasn’t my finest hour but it didn’t stop my doodling. If anything I found solace there.
Don’t let your creations go to waste. Take your first step in turning doodles into artworks that you can proudly sell and display.
- Collect your doodles in a scrapbook.
- When you run out of ideas go through your doodle scrapbooks.
- Don’t expect work you produce to be your usual style.
Works that emanate from my scrapbook doodles tend to have bold lines and a different feel from my other works. Almost comical. It was going down this pathway that I became known as the Coogee Picasso.
Here are some examples. Both these works have been exhibited with my sleeper selling on opening night.
- Artwork based on doodle (36) – Seabreeze – 2003 – Dee Grant
- Artwork based on doodle (34) – Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep – 2003 – Dee Grant
- Page from one of my doodle scrapbooks.
D Grant – All rights reserved